By Linda Gasser
Renewable Energy Management (REM) wishes to construct a “low temperature” gasification incinerator to process primarily Industrial, Commercial and Institutional Waste, along with Municipal Solid Waste, in Wesleyville, just west of Port Hope in Ontario. REM began their Environmental Screening study process in 2009 and filed their Notice of Completion on September 19, 2013.
We encourage interested parties to review the Environmental Screening Report and Appendices.
Port Hope Residents 4 Managing Waste Responsibly (PHR4WMR) is a local group that has been closely monitoring this project. Their recent correspondence with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment sets out some of their concerns.
Prevent Cancer Now is concerned about the potential health and environmental impacts of this project to the residents of Wesleyville and Port Hope, because REM’s proposed “low temperature” gasification incinerator would be using unproven technology, and REM has no track record operating such a facility.
Now is the time for interested parties to review REM’s Environmental Assessment documents and to request that the Environmental Assessment be “bumped up” from a Screening process to an Individual Environmental Assessment.
Any person may submit a request to the Director, Ministry of the Environment (with a copy to the proponent), that the project be made subject to an order under Part II of the Environmental Assessment Act, requiring the project to undergo an individual environmental assessment. These requests must be received by the Director no later than Monday, November 25, 2013.
Linda Gasser monitors information about the health and environmental risks of waste incinerators. She developed a toolkit of information on the links between incineration and cancer for PCN’s Ban Incineration Campaign. Linda can be reached by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Mobile Phone App – Prevent Cancer: 365 Daily Tips – Launched Sept 2013!
- Naturally Fermented Salsa Verde
- The Halifax Project: Applying the Hallmarks of Cancer for Prevention and Treatment
- Industry Supplied Data Means Continued Use of 2,4-D in Canada
- Royal Commission on the Environment and Health: comprehensive action plan
- Justice Denied: Mistreatment of former Canadian asbestos workers continues today
- Doctors Urge Ontario to Ramp Up Renewable Energy
- PCN Asks: Why Extend Plasco Garbage Gasification Funding Deadline?
- Many Good Reasons to go PVC-free
- Greenwashing in Cosmetics & Personal Care Products
- What is up with Canada’s review of the health effects of radiofrequency radiation? Have your say!
Wesleyville (Port Hope) Environmental Review of Unproven Incinerator Technology
- Meet PCN’s New Co-Chair – Natasha Klemm, BSc ND
- Kincardine Nuclear Waste Deep Geological Repository Proposal – a bait and switch to a bigger, even riskier plan?
- “Proof of Safety” versus “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” for Endocrine Disruptors – EU actions trigger controversy
- 3rd Annual Vineglass Quest for A Cure a Great Success!
- Think Before You Pink® Quiz
- PCN Shorts
Published: October 15th, 2013