By Diana Daghofer, Prevent Cancer Now co-chair
Jyl Chegwin and Roger Hol are very special people. Three years ago, they celebrated their 49th and 50th birthdays with the first annual Quest for the Cure, on their property at the Vineglass Renewal Resort in Cawston, nestled in BC’s beautiful Similkameen Valley. More than a great party, the event raised much-needed funds and awareness for cancer prevention. As Jyl puts it, “Roger and I like to give back. We find it very rewarding. We don’t have a lot of money, but live in a beautiful spot. We like to have fun and think we are pretty good at throwing a party, so it began…”
The Quest for the Cure was indeed a lot of fun. Three groups of musicians entertained the 200 guests – local duo, The Tracers; emerging singer-songwriter, Lydia Hol; and dance-party masters, the Blendurz. A four course buffet dinner was served, and both silent and live auctions helped raise over $10,000, with half the funds coming to Prevent Cancer Now, and the other half to the prevention efforts of the Canadian Cancer Society in BC.
Dr. Lindsay Adrian, ND, from the Integrated Health Clinic of Fort Langley, BC and Diana Daghofer, co-chair of Prevent Cancer Now, spoke of the many ways people can reduce their chances of getting cancer. As Jyl explains, “When I got cancer… I was very unaware of all the things I should have been doing in my life before I got cancer – called prevention!”
Prevent Cancer Now is very grateful for the efforts of Jyl and Roger and their many volunteers. Plan on coming to beautiful BC for the 4th annual Quest for the Cure on September 13, 2014!
If you know anyone who has been affected by cancer, and would like to honour them by raising funds for prevention, please contact us. The PCN team would be happy to help you organize an event.
- New Mobile Phone App – Prevent Cancer: 365 Daily Tips – Launched Sept 2013!
- Naturally Fermented Salsa Verde
- The Halifax Project: Applying the Hallmarks of Cancer for Prevention and Treatment
- Industry Supplied Data Means Continued Use of 2,4-D in Canada
- Royal Commission on the Environment and Health: comprehensive action plan
- Justice Denied: Mistreatment of former Canadian asbestos workers continues today
- Doctors Urge Ontario to Ramp Up Renewable Energy
- PCN Asks: Why Extend Plasco Garbage Gasification Funding Deadline?
- Many Good Reasons to go PVC-free
- Greenwashing in Cosmetics & Personal Care Products
- What is up with Canada’s review of the health effects of radiofrequency radiation? Have your say!
- Wesleyville (Port Hope) Environmental Review of Unproven Incinerator Technology
- Meet PCN’s New Co-Chair – Natasha Klemm, BSc ND
- Kincardine Nuclear Waste Deep Geological Repository Proposal – a bait and switch to a bigger, even riskier plan?
- “Proof of Safety” versus “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” for Endocrine Disruptors – EU actions trigger controversy
3rd Annual Vineglass Quest for A Cure a Great Success!
- Think Before You Pink® Quiz
- PCN Shorts
Published: October 15th, 2013